Samuel Maina Karanja
SENIOR PARTNER, NAIROBI
Key areas of expertise
Samuel Maina Karanja is the senior partner at KMK Advocates with over 2 decades experience both in private and public sector advising on a broad range of transactions ranging from project sponsors, public entities and corporate clients in energy, oil and gas, financial services, mining, infrastructure, IPO and ICT sector. Samuel holds a Bachelor of Arts Hons (BA) degree in Economics and Public Administration, Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) degree, post graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law and Masters of Law Degree (LL.M) in international trade and investment law, specializing in competition law. He is also a Certified Public Secretary-Kenya (CPS-K) life member, Registered Trade Mark and Patent Agent as well as being a Notary Public and a Commissioner for Oaths.
Samuel has led and participated in multi-jurisdiction, in various corporate and Government transactions both in-house and as external counsel, advising on mergers and acquisitions and joint venture arrangements. He is currently the Lead Local Adviser to the Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum on oil and gas contracts and lends his vast experience regularly reviewing security documents for various banking institutions.
Experience includes advising:
- Investors on setting up a multibillion solar power plant, including the infrastructure on legal documentation, such as power purchase agreements in Kenya
- The Energy sector as the lead local adviser to the Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Petroleum on oil and gas related contracts.
- Acted for Kings Developers Limited in the development of 360 Degrees apartments a Kshs. 1.5
- Billion project in Mlolongo; Milimani Apartments Nakuru a Kshs. 750 Million project; and Crawford Business Park State House Road a Kshs 900 Million project.
- Mount Property Development Limited as a project management consultant in securing finances, project development and joint ventures in property law with special emphasis in conveyance for the Prelax Apartments a Kshs. 650 Million project; and Vihiga Apartments a Kshs. 950 Million project.
- Various Kenyan Banking institutions such as Ecobank (K) Limited, Equity Bank (K) Limited, Bank of India – Kenya with respect to preparation, perfection and drawing of security documents.
- Currently advising international investors in the acquisition of a local Kenyan Bank and reviewing on their behalf the Kenyan banking Act, Tax Act and Kenyan Competition law with regards to the ongoing due diligence.
- Advising International Fintech and Financial Services Company (KOPO KOPO) in reviewing and drafting its commercial and legal agreements in conformity with multi-jurisdictional laws in which they operate ie America and East and Central Africa.Registering various trade marks for Haco Industries (now HacoTiger Brands), Datini Industries, Crystal Industries, Classic Iron Mongers, Kens Metal Industries and Cosmos Limited.